20 questions will be a weekly post with a host of fantastic Irish and International Running Stars…
First up is Catherina McKiernan: Catherina is one of Ireland’s most celebrated running stars, she is a European Gold & World Cross Country Silver Medalist and has won the London and Berlin Marathons – she is also the current Irish female marathon record holder.
Check out her answers below!
- Who was your inspiration in running growing up? No one in particular, to be honest. I ran from a very young age for the sheer joy and sense of freedom that it gave me.
- Favourite Place to Run? I live beside the Phoenix Park and like running there but also like to run around the country roads at home in Cavan when I go home.
- What is your greatest achievement, running or otherwise? Difficult to pick one but winning the London marathon has to be up there. Also winning the European Cross Country Championship and 4 silver medals in the World Cross country. Off the sporting field learning to overcome challenges that life brings.
- Do you have any pre-race superstitions? I always wear a holy medal in my shorts pocket.
- What’s the one piece of advice you would give to a novice runner? To take advice from people that have competed and have experienced the ups and downs that athletics brings.
- How long have you been running? I started training properly under guidance from a coach when I was 17. Before that I played a lot of different sports
- Best running memory? Thankfully many of them and I still have many enjoyable days at races and also watching my children run is fantastic.
- Favourite/Least Favourite distance? During my professional career I liked anything from 10km up to the marathon. Was not a fan of the shorter distances
- What shoes do you run in? Asics Hyperspeed
- What’s your next aim? To continue to enjoy running and to stay fit and healthy and run 5 and 10k’s and maybe a half marathon and some of the great races that are organised around the country.
- Favourite time of the day to run? To be honest for me anytime is a good time to run. Due to family and work commitments, I do most of my running in the morning time.
- Favourite/ Least Favourite thing about been a runner? I love the feeling of well-being, health and fitness that running gives.
- If you weren’t a runner, what would you be doing? Something sport-related
- Facebook or Twitter? Both
- Instagram or Pinterest? Neither
- What’s playing on your iPod before a race? N/A
- What’s in your Netflix queue? N/A
- Last Book you read? Find and Use Your Inner Power by Emmet Fox
- If you could be anywhere else in the world right now, where would you be? On a 6 month holiday in a nice warm peaceful place with my two children and all my Family
- Words to Live by? Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be.